The 5 things I altered were:
- Took in 1.5"from each side seam, including sleeves.
- Took about 5"off the bottom hem.
- Removed shoulder pads.
- Repaired lace apliqué in the collar.
- Tightened all slits all the way to the waist.
The tracing wasn't symmetrical, but the sewing is! ;)
This is also how I measured my sleeves. I took the same measurement off the lace dress all the way to the edge of my sleeves.
Believe it or not, my greatest mistake was washing this dress in hot water when I was done, because it shrunk like 4 inches off the bottom (unless I measured wrong, which wouldn't surprise me). My greatest challenge was stretching it back. It didn't stretch all the way back at all. Oh well. Still modest, I think.
Voilà. This really wasn't that difficult (in retrospect), I encourage you all to try this on an outdated dress you just can't get rid of! :)